Comics as Contemporary Literature

This week I read Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, One Bad Rat, and Bone. Jimmy Corrigan had me blind sided when I went in not knowing what to expect. From the cover, it looked like a kid’s comic book that would be on the shelf at a scholastic book fair in grade school, but then Jimmy, the main character, was swearing at his mother, there were depictions of suicide, and it followed a dark path down Jimmy’s life. It’s a non-linear story, but it packs a lot and is almost biographical as we unveil pieces of Jimmy’s life. One Bat Rat was my favorite of the three. I grew attached to the main character Helen and I the way her past is revealed to us is very creative. I may be biased because I’m a big Beatrix Potter fan too. The book Helen “found” in the wall at the end made me smile. I’m glad she was able to overcome her trauma and come out happy in the end. One Bad Rat follows a nonlinear timeline too, and it is literary. It clearly tells a story and the character arcs. Were it a book, the Beatrix Potter bit at the end would not have had the same effect in my opinion. I think it adds to my reasoning of why comics should be included as literary works. It meets the same goal, but some stories benefit from being “shown” to their audience differently. Finally Bone seemed like a very typical story line. I remember this one from the scholastic book fairs. It’s pretty much a YA or kids novel, just drawn out. I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as the last two comics, but it was entertaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future of Comics

Wide World of Comics - Blacksad

The Arrival