King & Stereotypes

King by Ho Che Anderson was a good read. I learned a lot more about MLK than I thought I knew. The only history I got about him in school was watching Selma and a 30 minute documentary in grade school. King  is a good example of a comic not using or relying on stereotypes to tell a story. The novel is a biography and because it’s so based on reality the visual component matches it in realism. The style is almost photographic, in fact I noticed there are real photographs comped in at some parts. The black and white vector style also takes on a serious tone. The subject can get gritty and raw. The civil right movement faced scrutiny and racism is a prevalent subject, so the style matches well. The one time there was color was when King was stabbed and he seemed to be dying and having visions. I thought that was really cool. On the topic of stereotyping in comics, I think it’s good that comics stay away from harmful racial stereotypes like the aggressive black male, Arab terrorists, or drug-dealing Latinos. Any exaggerated visual stereotypes are also outdated in my opinion. They just make me cringe and question if the artist has malintent behind it. I don’t think all stereotypes may be bad though. Almost every character in The SImpsons is a stereotype, but that’s not all they are. They have dimension and are shown to be caring and genuine individuals at the same time. In my opinion they’re handled well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future of Comics

Wide World of Comics - Blacksad

The Arrival